If your dog or cat has a weakened immune system, battles allergies, or eats processed cooked food he could benefit from whole-food nutritional supplements.
There’s no shortage of nutritional supplements available in the marketplace these days. In fact, there are so many choices that it can make your head swim. To make matters more confusing, the ingredient list and guaranteed analysis on the packages are frequently a long list of chemical names. Most common vitamin supplements are synthetic, and rarely is there any indication how these compounds are derived or how they fit in your pet’s diet and lifestyle.
You may think that a pet food label that includes the statement “natural with added vitamins and minerals” is playing up the health benefits. However, what it really means is that the food is made with added synthetic vitamins and minerals, and that statement is a disclaimer required by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Synthetic vitamins and minerals have been around for a long time, and are common in supplements intended for humans. The problem is that often these synthetic vitamins can be too potent, resulting in pet food recalls such as in 2006 when a food was recalled because it contained too much vitamin D. This happened again in 2010 with a different food. In 2009 one brand of food contained too much zinc and was recalled.
There is a better way -- Nutrition from whole, organic, non-GMO foods.
Wholistic Pet Products specializes in high quality, holistic pet nutritional supplements made from whole-food ingredients, many of which are certified organic. Pure, organic whole-foods that are easily digestible help ensure high bioavailability of nutrients. Their product line includes:
- Canine Complete / Feline Complete is a tasty chew that provides your pet with a complete array of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, essential fatty acids, powerful antioxidants, and digestive microflora.
- Run Free targets joints and their supportive tissue (bones, cartilage, and synovial fluid) in a convenient tasty chew. Made from flaxseed, calcium ascorbate (a natural form of vitamin C that is the most readily absorbed into the bloodstream), glucosamine, shark cartilage (source of chondroitin), and MSM (an anti-inflammatory). It’s available in both cat and dog formulations.
- Digest-All contains a concentrated and potent blend of non-GMO digestive enzymes along with prebiotics and probiotics to aid in thorough digestion. Enzymes are the catalysts responsible for metabolic reactions needed to sustain life. There are a great many of them and they are very selective in their tasks. Heat destroys enzymes as well as those healthy gut bugs (probiotics), which are supported by prebiotics. Digest-All helps the digestive system absorb more nutrients from food, making for a healthier immune system. Unless your dog or cat is eating raw, non-pasteurized food there likely is a need to provide some digestive support in the diet.
- WholeCran Intense is a pure, freeze-dried, whole-cranberry powder made from organic whole cranberries. The natural properties of cranberries help to support a healthy urinary tract. Loaded with flavanoids and other antioxidants, cranberries can also help support healthy teeth and gums.
- Colostrum Powder is commonly called “mother’s first milk” because it’s the milk produced by mammals just prior to birth. It’s contains antibodies needed to protect the newborn. In recent years many pathogens have developed resistance to modern antibiotics, but colostrum contains natural antibiotics that have evolved alongside pathogens. Wholistic Colostrum Powder is extremely concentrated bovine colostrum collected from dairy cows fed diets free of meat by-products, hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides. It’s processed in USDA licensed and inspected human food processing plants. Colostrum supports the immune system especially during times of stress, illness, and recovery.
If you’re unsure how you’re furry pal can benefit from supplements just stop by and talk to us.