People of all ages like Halloween, but our pets usually don't understand that the "monsters" walking up to the house are just children. Here are some common sense precautions to help keep Halloween fun.

Keep the treat bowl stocked with non-chocolate treats that contain only real sweeteners. Not only is chocolate dangerous for many dogs, the artificial sweetener xylitol can hazardous too. If you do suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. 

Although decorative Indian corn isn't toxic, some dogs may try to eat the cobs as well as the corn kernels. Corn cobs are highly indigestible and frequently cause intestinal obstructions.

Real candles inside a carved pumpkin can be knocked over by excited dogs, while curious kitties risk getting singed if they try to play with the candle flame.

Some dogs seem to love dressing up for Halloween, but for others costumes can be stressful. Festive collars and bandanas to celebrate the holiday may be enough for sensitive dogs. If your dog does like dressing up make sure the costume doesn't interfere with normal movements like walking, breathing, drinking, barking, or toileting.

Unless your dog or cat is extremely sociable, keep her in a quiet room away from the front door during peak trick-or-treating hours. Not only is it the easiest way to keep you dog or cat safely inside but ghosts and goblins are scary!

Be sure your dog or cat has proper identification. If for any reason she escapes and becomes lost, a collar with tags and/or a microchip can improve the chances that she is returned home quickly.


Happy Howl-o-ween!